We aren't really St. Patrick's Day celebrators in our house. Well, we weren't until we had a child of our own. Now, we will use any excuse to do something fun and memorable for her. So, on St. Patrick's Day Lovebug will be waking up to this adorable crepe paper rainbow complete with a pot of gold at the end of it. I can just imagine the look in her eye when she sees it!! I can't wait!
This craft was incredibly easy to pull together and cost about $10-15 with materials mostly from the dollar store. (I had to get a couple colors of streamers from the grocery store to fill in my rainbow.)
Plastic planter pot (I found a dark green one) - Dollar Store
Black Paint - Craft Store
Crepe Paper Streamers in Red, Orange, Yellow, Green and Blue - Dollar Store & Grocery Store
3 pieces of white tissue paper - Dollar Store
Gold Tinsel - Dollar Store
Gifts - Dollar Store
Gold Wrapping or Tissue Paper - Dollar Store
Chocolate Gold Coins - Grocery Store
1. Paint the planter pot black.
2. While the paint dries, wrap your gifts in gold tissue paper or wrapping paper.
I picked up some stickers, a puzzle, a game as well as the gold tissue paper at the dollar store. I found chocolate gold coins at the grocery store.
3. Next, tape your crepe paper streamers to the top of your child's door frame, placing the last color of the rainbow (in my case, blue) in the corner. Place each new addition of crepe paper directly next to the one preceding it and drop it carefully down to the opposite corner of the bottom of the door.
4. Next, create some clouds by crumpling each piece of white tissue paper.
5. Open up the crumpled tissue paper, gather the edges and tape them together. Fluff the tissue paper to create a three dimensional cloud.
6. Tape the clouds to the top of the rainbow.
7. Tape the bottom of the rainbow to your base board, making sure the crepe paper is slightly taught.
8. Trim the excess crepe paper off the bottom of your rainbow. Fill your pot with the gold tinsel, gifts and chocolate coins and place it at the bottom of the rainbow.
Note - I have my pot, gifts and clouds ready to go for St. Patrick's Day. So, after Lovebug goes to bed, I can just tape up my rainbow and clouds then set out her pot of gold. So fun!!